home - organisation - milestones
- CIKS commenced activities in 1993, and was registered as an independent trust in 1995. Here are some of the centre’s significant achievements to date.
- We have developed organic farming packages for rice and cotton that give yields on par with those of high yielding varieties. These packages have provided food and livelihood security, particularly for small and marginal farmers.
- We have tested out a pilot programme for bringing organic food to the consumer at reasonable prices.
- We have applied Vrkshayurveda successfully for pest control and crop protection, and have set up village based biopesticide units building on these practices.
- Our publications and solutions have been widely recognized as being user friendly and easy to understand. Currently we have 75 publications to our credit. We have also produced three educational films which are very popular with the farmers.
- Government agencies like DST and CAPART have increased their support for CIKS projects.
- We are the Asian coordinator for COMPAS - a worldwide project that links like-minded organisations in Asia, Africa, Europe and South America.
- Support from farmers and local people is extremely encouraging. Farmers have provided land for setting up biopesticide units, rural libraries and community storage structures.