Our Centre has implemented four consecutive phases of this programme in Thiruvannamalai, Nagapattinam and Kancheepuram districts of Tamil Nadu with the support of NABARD under their Micro Enterprises Development Programme (MEDP) for matured Self Help Groups (SHGs).
Two phases of this programme were implemented in Thiruvannamalai district from February 2012 – June 2013 in Esakulathur, Kadambai and Peranamallur villages and from September 2013 – February 2014 in Visamangalam, Gengampoondi, Vangaram, Avanavadi, Desur and Perungkadampathur villages. In Nagapattinam district, the programme was implemented in September 2013. In Kancheepuram district, it was implemented from December 2013 – February 2014 in Rettamangalam and Kavanoor Puducherry villages.
The outcomes of the programme are as follows:
- A total of 133 one day training sessions were conducted for the beneficiaries of Thiruvannamalai, Nagapattinam and Kancheepuram districts.
- A total of 332 beneficiaries including 202 women beneficiaries from 69 Self Help Groups participated and benefitted through these training programmes.
- These participants were trained on sustainable agriculture based micro-enterprises like vermicompost and biopesticides production, value addition, backyard poultry, home gardening, seed production and handicrafts production with necessary background on economics and business plans.
- These training programmes are comprised of presentations, group discussions and exposure visits.
- As a follow up to these training programmes, six community vermicompost units, four community biopesticide units, three value addition units, two handicrafts units, 30 home gardens and six backyard poultry units have been established by the beneficiaries.