We are involved in the promotion of organic farming in the Alangadu village of Nagapattinam district from January 2009 onwards with the support of a family belonging to Alangadu village and the sixth phase of the project is in progress.
- The Alangadu irrigation channel was cleaned and desilted.
- Two oil engines were purchased and being utilized by the beneficiaries for irrigation purpose with minimum hiring charges.
- Beneficiaries are involved in organic cultivation of various crops and demonstrating various technologies.
- Crop loans were provided for 16 farmers covering 13 acres through Sirkazhi Organic Farmers’ Association for organic cultivation.
- Support has been provided to the Sivasakthi Sustainable Agriculture Self Help Group in Alangadu through Shri Ram Investments in Thiruvarur for the purchase of milch animals in order to enhance the productivity of the vermicompost unit maintained by the group.
- Vermicompost produced in the community vermicompost unit is being sold to the farmers of Alangadu.
- Members of Samba Sustainable Agriculture Self Help Group are involved in the production and sale of biopesticides.
- Beneficiaries were trained on various organic farming and allied technologies. An exposure visit was organised to Sittilinghi village in Dharmapuri district to learn the technologies of cultivation, processing and value addition of millets.
- A total of 36 beneficiaries have raised organic kitchen gardens at their backyards and reduced the cost of Rs. 300/- per month spent towards vegetables.
- The evening tuition centre Arivumaiyam has over 52 students (1st to 10th std) enrolled and two teachers appointed, it is maintained with the overall monitoring by CIKS staff and members of the Akilandeshwari farmers’ club.
- Apart from agricultural activity, women group members are involved in the activities like tailoring, production of paper bags and palm based handicraft products.