This project supported by the Department of Science and Technology is in progress in Kancheepuram, Thiruvannamalai, Nagapattinam, Cuddalore, Thiruvarur and Ramanathapuram districts of Tamil Nadu from July 2013 onwards.
WORK DONE UNDER THE PROJECT
- Detailed baseline survey has been conducted in Kancheepuram, Thiruvannamalai, Nagapattinam and Ramanathapuram districts.
- A total of 1400 women beneficiaries were selected and trained on vermicompost production – harvest, storage and packing, fodder, azolla and mushroom cultivation.
- A total of 12 community vermicompost production units and two mushroom cultivation units were established in Kancheepuram, Thiruvannamalai and Nagapattinam districts. Business plans and bankable proposals were also developed for these units.
- Construction of a mushroom production unit is in progress in the Sukkankollai farm. It will serve as a demonstration unit.
- Demonstration of azolla production, vegetable seed production and fodder cultivation are also in progress in the farm. Three azolla production units were established in the Kancheepuram district.
- Trained beneficiaries are involved in fodder cultivation at their backyards and utilizing it for their cattle.