The Science and Society division of the Department of Science and Technology has been providing core support to our organization for the last four years. With this support we have identified the following activities.
- Development of Biopesticides
- Experimentation on various aspects of Vrkshayurveda (Traditional Indian Plant Science) with focus on Pest Control and Crop Protection and enhancement of yield.
- Development of a database on Traditional Agriculture with emphasis on non chemical methods of pest control and crop protection
ACTIVITIES IMPLEMENTED AND UNDER IMPLEMENTATION
- Organic package of practices for banana, green gram and black gram have been developed.
- Plants like Andrographis paniculata, Sida acuta and Capsicum annum sp. annum were studied for standardization of biopesticidal properties.
- Two storage forms of biopesticides were developed and tested namely Sida acuta kashayam and Neem oil soap. Arka Shaaram – a preparation from Vrkshayurveda texts was prepared.
- Bioassays were conducted on Spodoptera and aphids using various biopesticides at different concentrations.
- Field experiments were conducted on bhendi against sucking pests.
- Local strains of microorganisms like Rhizobium, Phosphobacteria and Azospirillum were identified, isolated and used for mass production of biofertilizers.
- Bankable proposals have been developed for biofertilizer unit and neem seed processing unit.
- An experiment to compare quantum of water use in conventional method of farming and System of Rice Intensification (SRI) was conducted.