PROGRAMME FOR SUPPORTING SUSTAINABLE ORGANIC FARMING IN NAGAPATTINAM DISTRICT (NABARD UPNRM–PHASE II)
The second phase of this project supported by NABARD is in progress in the Sirkazhi taluk of Nagapattinam district. The project is in progress with the components like – Procurement and sale of organic paddy seeds, procurement and sale of organic paddy, milling and sale of organic rice, procurement and sale of organic paddy ( Kuruvai season) and enhancement of livelihoods of women through bio gas units. With technical support from CIKS and periodical monitoring the activities were implemented successfully.
WORK DONE UNDER THIS PROJECT
- Under the component on Enhancement of livelihoods of women through biogas units, a total of 12 units were constructed in Allivilagam and Aadhamangalam villages.
- During kuruvai 2013, certified seed production was taken up in 11 acres by four farmers and a total of 15.7 tonnes of ADT – 43 paddy seeds were produced.
- In samba 2013, certified seed production of ADT-38, CR-1009 and Improved white ponni paddy varieties was taken up in 24 acres by 10 farmers and 28.3 tonnes of seeds were produced. In January 2014, 10 tonnes of organic paddy grains and rice have been procured from the farmers.
- Nearly 27.2 tonnes of organic paddy, rice and value-added products produced by women SHGs were sold.
- Training programmes on paddy seed production techniques, organic farming certification procedures, control of Foot and Mouth disease, formation of Producer Company and legal procedures, strengthening of community enterprises etc., were conducted for the beneficiaries.
- As part of this programme, Sirkazhi Organic Farmers’ Association participated in Farmers’ festival (Uzhavar Peruvizha) in Nagapattinam, Paddy festival (Nel thiruvizha) in Aadhirengam village, Consumer awareness programme in Pondicherry, an exhibition at CP Art Centre in Chennai etc.